Meet our 2020 Committee!

The year of 2020 has brought in a versatile and passionate group of leaders that we expect great things from. Scroll down to meet the superstars that were successfully recognized as part of the Swinburne Chapters Golden Key Committee! The Chapter will continue to uphold the three pillars of academics, leadership and service within the toughest year, to-date, of the 21st Century. 

______________________________________________________________________________

Jananie K. H. Pathiraja 

Newsletter Editor/Public Relations Officer

Hello everybody and welcome to this month’s edition of the Golden Key Newsletter! My name is Jan and as the appointed newsletter editor I would like to formally introduce myself and the Swinburne Chapter’s team.

As a third year student of Health Science I work at Swinburne as a volunteer health ambassador to provide health information for the student population and promote positive health and well-being practices across the campus. I am also involved in a variety of university clubs and campus activities, including writing for SWINE magazine, speaking for Toastmasters and working with a multi-disciplinary team in the 2020 Swinburne Designathon. I would like to promote health and well-being when I graduate and do my part in making the switch to preventative health approaches globally. 

My work experience includes part-time swim teaching, which unfortunately hasn’t been possible in 2020. In my free time I enjoy a good movie or a good book and spending time with my room-mates over a game of cards. In the future I would like to travel and experience different cultures and perspectives from around the world.

As Newsletter editor of Golden-Key, I hope to bring information about volunteering, academic and leadership opportunities right to your mailbox. Look forward to it!

_______________________________________________________________________________________

James Roy Treasurer

Hello all! My name is James Roy and I am the treasurer of the Golden Key Swinburne Chapter for 2020. I completed my Bachelor’s degree in Business (Economics) in 2018, which was when I first joined Golden key. I have been working in finance for the past 12 years in various positions and I have been affiliated with Swinburne for 4 years now. One of the things I enjoy most in life is learning new things and being challenged, so I will be enrolling in my Masters shortly which will most likely be a Doctor of Jurisprudence graduate-entry professional degree in law.

Outside of work, my biggest passion is my love for travelling. I was fortunate to take 12 months off work last year and complete an around the world trip which ticked off a huge part of my bucket list. I love to be social and meet new people, but I also love to read and play games and do nothing for a whole day.

One of my favorite quotes is by Albert Einstein – ‘In the middle of difficulty lies great opportunity’.

During this challenging time there has never been a more important time to develop a good support network around you and I really hope to help make Golden key a place for you to make new connections and friends in 2020.

______________________________________________________________________________

Tharindie Silva  Secretary

Hello everybody! My name is Tharindie Silva, I am currently studying a Bachelor of Health Science with a major in biomedical science.

I was pleasantly surprised when I was invited to join Golden Key in March 2020 in acknowledgement of my academic achievements. On joining I immediately recognized this society as a valuable platform to develop myself personally and professionally; to develop my leadership skills, broaden my professional network and be a part of many inspirational volunteering opportunities.

I am passionate about my work because I love what I do. I have a steady source of motivation that drives me to do my best. I am a sportive person and that has given me the confidence, belief, and determination to make it to where I am today and keep striving to reach new heights.

As the new secretary of the golden key Swinburne chapter for this academic year, I look forward to serving you in my new role and contributing towards the work of the chapter.

______________________________________________________________________________


Stacia Rimta Community Service Officer

Hi, my name is Stacia Rimta. I am currently in my final year towards a Bachelor of Engineering with major in biomedical engineering at Swinburne University of Technology.

This is my first time joining the Golden Key committee as a community service officer! I have extensive volunteering background in different settings, such as in hospitals, community kitchens, and churches. This time around, I would like to contribute and make positive changes to the community in a different way, which is through Golden Key. I think this will be a wonderful experience and a great way to extend my network while gaining professional skills. 

In my free-time I've dabbled in many hobbies including knitting, music, baking and as of late - cycling! Despite being a homebody I've recently fallen in love with riding through the Yarra Trail, give me a wave if you see me!

Last but not least, my message to you, stay safe and healthy during this difficult time. I hope we are all able to not only pass through this pandemic but also grow through it.

______________________________________________________________________________

Christina Ting  General Committee Member

Christina has a diverse academic background in social science, geography and environmental sciences. She has a deep seated interest in issues revolving around culture and the environment - such as ethnic and host’s cultural influence on population groups including migrants, individual sustainable behaviour and consumption; circular economy and waste management.  

She also contributes to the World Resources Institute’s Ross Centre Prize for Cities as a member of the Advisory Council and the Climate Reality Project as a Climate Reality Leader. Christina serves as an executive member of the Eastern Regional Organisation for Planning and Human Settlements (EAROPH) Australia (to promote sustainable living and environment in the contexts of Sustainable Development Goals and Climate Change). 

Her involvements in these organisations allow her to make contributions to equitable, sustainable communities and environment. 

______________________________________________________________________________

Here's to making the best out of 2020!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the 2019 Golden Key Leadership Committee!

Backpack 4 Kidz

New Members Reception 2017 - Perspective of a New Member