Honorary Member Profile: Raj Malhotra

Swinburne Golden Key Honorary Member Profile


Name: Raj Malhotra
Current Job: Magistrate
Honorary Member since 2016

Qualifications:
Bachelor of Laws, University of Western Australia; Executive Masters in Public Administration, University of Melbourne.

How you any lecturing/teaching experience?
2 years at RMIT in Faculty of Business and Law.

How did you develop your leadership?
Fundamentally, working hard is at the core of all success. Applying yourself, having clear goals, looking for solutions to problems, having integrity, being resilient and being naturally driven and ambitious are traits that have helped me arrive at my current position. I have actively worked on being a leader that is empathetic to people's and the community's needs. I've arrived for excellence and pushed myself to not be afraid to pursue the difficult challenges. Decision making without fear or favour!

What is your leadership style?
Much of what I said in my previous answer applies here. Understanding the needs of both the organisation and the individual and finding a balance between the two, whilst pursuing successful outcomes is how I would describe my style.

What leadership roles have you held?
I held management positions in part time jobs I had whilst studying at uni, I believe that being a lawyer wasn't enough, I wanted to make a difference in developing people, even better, assisting people be the best they could. I was the principal of my own law firm, I was the Manager for Prosecutions and Investigations at the Department of Transport in Victoria. Following on, a Managing Principal Solicitor at the Victorian Government Solicitor's Office (VGSO); Acting Director of the Child Protection Litigation Office at the Department of Human Services; Acting Assistant Victorian Government Solicitor, VGSO; Acting Manager of Responsible Alcohol Victoria, Department of Justice; Director of Regulatory Services at the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.

Any advice for someone starting their leadership journey?
Find a mentor; ensure they view the world somewhat differently to you. Their success should have come through hard work and ethical foundation. Ask questions; be respectful but deliberate in your pursuit for the answers and towards your success. Operate in a world where the answer to the question 'What would my mother say about that' never gives you pause for reflection or regret.

Have you been involved with any community service?
Started off very early with the Consumer Credit Legal Service; overseas delivered training in environmental prosecution and investigation functions in Vanuatu.

Do you have any volunteer experience, include any board involvement? Why did you get involved?
Not as a volunteer, but Full Time Member of the Adult Parole Board. This was part of my career trajectory but focused on contributing to the safety of the community. Volunteered as Public Officer for The Australian and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG) Alumni. Took this position to contribute to the richness of what could be offered back to members of the Alumni.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet the 2019 Golden Key Leadership Committee!

Backpack 4 Kidz

New Members Reception 2017 - Perspective of a New Member